Dandyism Forum Index Dandyism
Thrust. Parry. Riposte.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Note on Forum Etiquette

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Mattis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: A Note on Forum Etiquette Reply with quote

Last night my girlfriend asked me if I had posted in the Forum about the delightfully dandyish book she bought for me.

“No," I answered, "Everyone’s too busy bickering and I’m having to play Officer Bad Cop.”

Still?” she exclaimed. “What did guys do before they argued on the Internet? Beat their wives?”

I’m beginning to think Timmbbo’s “mean girls” post is more spot-on than I had thought.

Up to this point we haven’t made formal rules because for one we really shouldn’t have to need them and two, D.Net was, let’s face it, moribund for a very long time. But we are trying to put the band back together, so to speak, and we want your cooperation.

The fact is, we’ve had a lot of complaints from potential new members saying that they feel either bullied or that the Forum has gone so off topic – politics, Nixon, the Daily Show, whatever – that it is irrelevant to the main thrust of the site. D.Net was once the voice of this topic in the United States and we intend to for it to be so again.

To do that we need to attract new minds and fresh ideas. That doesn’t mean we can’t criticize, but let’s do it with some wit and flair and that sense of self-deprecating, understated humor that befits the dandy and, indeed, the gentleman.

I don’t intend to play Officer Bad Cop forever, and really don’t like deleting posts. It makes me queasy. So if you will all please observe the following guidelines, at least for the time being, I would appreciate it.

- Stick to the thread topic (more or less)
- Eschew flames and name-calling
- Keep the F-bombs to a minimum
- Welcome new members (you can haze them after you’ve developed a relationship and understand their sense of humor)
- Disagree with style – and agree to disagree when you fail to reach accord or synthesis

Keep Calm and Dandy On,

The Management
timmbbo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to have the new management's rules elucidated. Questions:

- How will normal tropic drift be accommodated? Just as in regular conversation between two chaps, the topic grows and takes unexpected turns along the way. A common example is, someone mentions a book. Then, another dandy develops a point in that book, and then that point takes on a new life of discussion. Not that there's necessary an easy solution for this, but how do you accommodate the normal vibrancy of conversation without it spiraling down into a new, meaningless, mega-thread?

- How should ephemeral topics be presented? Occasionally, I have a question or issue that (traditionally) wasn't sufficient to carry the weight of a new topic, but will still generate a smaller number of replies.

- When the mega-thread was nuked, I noticed I lost 180 posts off my count. (M2, if I recall, you dropped from a super-dandy 3K post range, to somewhere into 2K.) Not that I'm into building a number, but I was looking forward to hitting my millennium post to earn my official D.net cravat. I don't suppose the accurate post count will ever be restored?

I'm glad to see a new management's effort to restore order from the rabble and recruit new blood (and viewpoints). Now, if we could only get AQ&Q's dandy forum rules restored; I almost feel like a wayward sheep without them. Oh, and you failed to answer the most obvious question: what book did that girlfriend of yours buy for you?
Michael Mattis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just use your sound judgement.
amanofwealth&taste

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, the old rules (see my signature) are still the good rules.
This post complies with Dandyism.net's policies, practices & procedures banning A.) references to: 1) onanism; 2) the webmaster as a "braying ass;" 3) public toilets; 4) the webmaster's hobbit hands; 5) underage males &/or females; 6) Nazi uniforms; 7) nosegays; 8 ) "preggers"; &/or 9) genderfuck; & B). moronic avatars.
Mr Thompson

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...Mattis has the Hobbit hands now? Wink

I can feel the breeze of renewal already. Long live the pooh-bah!
Gregory

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...Civility is becoming a priority chez D.net?
I may have to start frequenting one of my old favorite haunts Smile
wellesradio

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No talk of Nixon or the Daily Show? Poor Thompson and New Ed, to be singled out like that!

Filligree!
Filligree!
Flotsam!
Flounce!
Ferule!
Florid!
Fountain!
Fauntleroy!
Fecund!
Faggotist!
Pablo Lord of Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This place better not become boring.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pablo Lord of Man wrote:

It is possible to disagree without being disagreeable. Sometimes people become too dogmatic in their views as well as too aggressive in their rejection of the opinions of others. I think a little etiquette will go far to actually make the dialog more interesting. This move is really long overdue. I for one am happy to see civility return to D.net. Huzzah! Wink

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." —Aristotle

“Dandyism introduces antique calm among our modern agitations.” — Barbey d’Aurevilly
wellesradio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The New Edwardian wrote:
Pablo Lord of Man wrote:

It is possible to disagree without being disagreeable. Sometimes people become too dogmatic in their views as well as too aggressive in their rejection of the opinions of others. I think a little etiquette will go far to actually make the dialog more interesting. This move is really long overdue. I for one am happy to see civility return to D.net. Huzzah! ;-)

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ?Aristotle

What the heck are [we arguing] about? I completely [agree] with that [mature] sentiment. That's the most [sane] argument I've heard yet! I'm not surprised at all. This place is sure to turn into a [charming den of civilised discourse]. Boring? I say [pish posh, 'twill ne'er be]! Of course I'd leave it up to the likes of you, Sean, to [liven this place up with your elegance, charm and coolheaded wit]. Pablo's [fears are completely unfounded].

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. [deleted]"
- [an English playwright]
Michael Mattis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a fun chat with some friends last night about Sunday's Big Game. At one point we started talking about "grandstanding" and on-field celebrations. It bears some relevance here.

We agreed that the most gentlemanly way for a player to celebrate a touchdown is simply to cordially hand the ball back to the referee. This is at once understated, professional, makes it look easy (which is what the dandy does, n'est-ce pas), and it speaks volumes -- in essence, saying, "Here you go. I'll see you again in another 10 minutes or so."

Sadly, coaches have failed to instill in players this sense of decorum. So the NFL had to make rules. No one likes rules, but sometimes we have to make them.
Vladislav Davidzon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Mattis wrote:

Sadly, coaches have failed to instill in players this sense of decorum. So the NFL had to make rules. No one likes rules, but sometimes we have to make them.

It's only natural, Football as a sport is purelly and entirelly preperation for war.
RKM

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Code Duello:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/duel/sfeature/rulesofdueling.html

Laws of War:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_of_war
lord arcturus of 88

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep calm and dandy on.

i like it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dandyism Forum Index -> Forum Guidelines All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: